Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Miss Oates mucks up!

Today was my first day of full control in Room 15, also known as actually teaching! I was only in charge until lunchtime as we decided that it would be easier for me to start my PE and Topic units while Pip was in the classroom, and she has release time on a Thursday afternoon, so the children had Dr McKenzie as usual and they got to go for a swim so I am sure they were happy about that!

The morning started off well and we raced through spelling, handwriting and maths followed by a well earned morning tea break for all! Then after morning tea we had reading and all was going well until I got to my third group and realised I had just done their book with the second group.... so they had scored a very easy reading day! So if you Alex, Joy and Colin's parents are reading this my apologies to you and your children! Alex even tried to tell me! Bless her for being so brave as to call a teacher out, but me in my "I know what I am doing" mode, didn't listen! I have put the book they should have read into their book folders* and maybe they will enjoy reading it with you over the weekend! I felt a wee bit better when I was telling Mrs Etheredge about it and she said she is sure she has done that before too... phew maybe it's not just me!

*I got corrected several times today as apparently I am out of touch they are not "book bags" they are book folders I am told! (I also call rubbers, erasers, much to the children's disgust and amusement, they love to exclaim "they're not erasers, they are rubbers Miss Oates!" When I was their age it was the other way around!)

We also had writing and while I am no Mrs Menary I think we did ok, the children are learning to write recounts, check their spelling with a dictionary and to use adjectives as well as their own individual goals! It sounds like a lot but they are an awesome bunch and are producing some amazing pieces of writing!

Tomorrow is a new day and it is pyjama day at school as a fundraiser for the senior students, so if your child comes home and tells you they can wear their pyjamas tomorrow, yes it is true, I am looking forward to not having to choose what to wear in the morning, and I am sure I will get to see a range of onesies that will make me very jealous!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! i need to follow your blog as of now, i forgot to before and missed 2 blogs entrys! goodness. Love it girlzie, make all the mistakes now and learn as much as you can from them! students dont loose their jobs! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks mate! Definitely the time for mistakes and learning! Shame I dont cope well with mistakes! I want to know EVERYTHING and I want to know it NOW! But teaching is one of those jobs where you never stop learning and things never stop changing! LOVING it (especially cos I can't get fired hehe)

    ReplyDelete