Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Planning and Preparation

On Thursday I begin 12 days of full control, and when you consider this on the grand scheme of things of wanting to be a teacher for approximately 200 days a year (?) this is like loose change! But as many of you will know, loose change can sometimes make or break you. While I don't think these 12 days will break me, it is daunting as last placement we only had to do 6 days, this is a huge step up. I am really looking forward to it though, Room 15 is a group of bright, inquisitive minds full of ideas and an enthusiasm to learn that reminds me of why it is I want to do this crazy thing called teaching.

On Thursday I will start by taking over all of the routine day to day things like spelling and handwriting, I will also take maths, reading and writing before lunch. After lunch we will start diving into the topic Mrs Baker aka Pip wants us to look at which is the Kiwi, both us as a people and then in more depth the kiwi bird. In my preparation and research to go about planning how to teach the kids I think I am learning as much as they will and it is interesting stuff, I just hope that they think so too! While the kiwi is an interesting topic it is just a cover story to teach the kids skills like brainstorming and classifying information, forming questions and researching how to answer those questions, hopefully none of them see through my ruse!

We will also be beginning a PE unit on Tennis, which has the potential to be very interesting... can you imagine 18 5-8 year olds with tennis racquets and balls? Anyone want to come and parent help? :)

I take the idea of teaching and learning very seriously and I am working closely with both Pip and Alison to ensure that your children learn and thrive while I am in control of the planning as well as they would if I were not around. I am both looking forward to and dreading the feedback they give me, but for me it is all learning and  I just have to remember that they are trying to help me become a better teacher!

I hope your children are enjoying having me in class as much as I am enjoying being there, which is a lot! I don't enjoy the hours of planning but it will all be worth it when they can tell me something they have learnt at the end of my time here at Collingwood Area School!

"Kiwi" unit planning (and assorted other stuff going on at the same time)



My collection of post it notes... they are going to be used when we brainstorm and classify information! But they also show that I am a HUGE nerd and I have a passion for post it notes.... you know that this is true when your friends give you post it notes as birthday gifts... Thanks Sophie :)

Time for bed or I will be grumpy Miss Oates tomorrow, and trust me, no one wants that!

No comments:

Post a Comment